Dr. Amita Mukhopadhyay
DoJ: 13th March 2023
Dr Amita Mukhopadhyay is an experienced physician, teacher, and epidemiological researcher with publications in several national and international medical journals. She earned a gold medal in ENT-Ophthalmology during MBBS, and was University topper in MD Community Medicine. She is highly skilled in research methodology and complex statistical analysis. She has worked as faculty in government and private medical teaching institutions, most recently as Associate Professor of Community Medicine at Dr Chandramma Dayananda Sagar Institute of Medical Education and Research, where she was acting Head of Department, member of the Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC), member of the Medical Education Technologies Unit (MEU), and Nodal Officer of the COVID Response Team during the 2021 Delta wave. Dr Mukhopadhyay is an expert in the emerging field of Graph Theory and Social Network Analysis, having co-authored a pioneering research article on network analysis of COVID transmission (published by Cambridge University Press), and has taught graph theory with hands on demonstrations of software and analysis as invited speaker at MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
EXPERTISE (AREAS) :
1. Graph Theory and Social Network Analysis
2. Communicable and non-communicable disease epidemiology
3. Research methodology and statistical analysis
PUBLISHED JOURNAL ARTICLES / BOOKS / Chapters
- Saraswathi S, Mukhopadhyay A, Shah H et al. Social network analysis of COVID-19 transmission in Karnataka, India. Epidemiology and Infection, 148, E230. doi:10.1017/S095026882000223X.
- Mukhopadhyay A, Sundar U, Adwani S, Pandit D. Prevalence of stroke and post-stroke cognitive impairment in the elderly in Dharavi, Mumbai. J Assoc Physicians India 2012 Oct; 60, 29-32.
- Mukhopadhyay A. Resuscitating Mumbai from sickness, slums and calamities to secure social capital. In: The Lancet and WHO: Young voices in research for health. Climate change and health: research challenges for vulnerable populations; 2008 (Geneva: World Health Organization).
- Mukhopadhyay A, Chowdhury R. The eunuch patient. Tropical doctor 39 (1), 63-64.
- Sundar U, Karnik ND, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. COVID-19 associated stroke—a single centre experience. J Assoc Physicians India 2021 Jun;69(6):11-12.
SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- GIS Mapping of health determinants as a tool for better understanding the health demands and appropriate utilization of health resources at community level Funded by Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) (under JANCARE Healthtech Startup Challenge).
- “An exploratory study of treatment outcome of new Revised National Tuberculosis Control Programme (RNTCP) guidelines and functional impairment among Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis cases notified in Bangalore city”. Funded by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS).
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
- GIS Mapping of health determinants as a tool for better understanding the health demands and appropriate utilization of health resources at community level.
- Registered with Maharashtra Medical Council, Reg. no. 2004/02/361 (Date: 03/02/2004).
- Registered with Medical Council of India, Reg. no. M.C.I. 5631 (Date: 31/01/2008).
- Life member, Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine, Reg. no. I – 2147.
- Life Associate member, Association of Physicians of India, Reg. no. AL – 250.
PARTICIPATION IN CONFERENCES (SESSION CHAIR/PAPER PRESENTOR)
- A community-based study of milk adulteration and childhood malnutrition in Bangalore Rural District, India. The XLIII Indian Social Science Congress, Bengaluru, 2020.
- Resuscitating Mumbai: from sickness, slums and calamities to secure social capital. Young voices in research for health; Global Ministerial Forum on Research for Health, Bamako, Mali, 2008.
- Prevention of child sexual abuse – experiences from a pilot project for schoolchildren. Joint National Conference of IPHA–IAPSM, Tirupati, 2006.
|EDUCATION||COURSE / DEGREE||YEAR||INSTITUTION|
|HIGHEST QUALIFICATION||MD Community Medicine||2007||Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai|
|MASTERS||MBBS||2001||Govt. Medical College, Thrissur, Kerala|