Dr. Gyan Chandra Kashyap is a Demographer as well as a statistician and working as an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Health Management Research, Bangalore (IIHMR-B), Bangalore. He has completed an M.Phil. and PhD. in Population studies from International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai. He has also done M.Sc. in Statistics from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. He has received the Junior/Senior Research Fellowship (JRF/SRF) during his PhD. from University Grant Commission, New Delhi. Before joining IIHMR, Bangalore, he has worked as a Project Officer in National Family Health Survey-5 (NFHS-5) and Health of Urban Poor (HUP) projects at IIPS, Mumbai. He teaches Biostatistics and Demography and advanced demographic techniques of data analysis, modelling, life tables, population projections, etc. He has expertise in sampling design, sample size determinations, along the monitoring of large-scale surveys. Recently, He has completed National Family Health Survey-5 in the state Maharashtra-West, India.
Dr. Gyan is an expert in large-scale handling datasets (NFHS, NSSO, GATS-India) and various statistical modelling and techniques with several statistical software such as STATA, SPSS, SPECTRUM, Mortpak, and CSPro. His research works have been praised on national and international platforms. He has presented research papers in several regional and national conferences and workshops to keep himself mobilized in epidemiology and public health. His research areas of interest are Public health (occupational and mental health, disease epidemiology) and women issues. Dr. Gyan’s research has been published in leading national and international journals.
EXPERTISE (AREAS) :
|Course handled||Applied Demography and Population Dynamics, Essentials of Demography, Essentials of Health Economics, Essentials of Biostatistics and Data Management and Analysis|
|Pedagogical Innovation||• Life table construction and uses|
|Assessment Innovation||• Data analysis using SPSS and Excel|
• Basic measurements (rates, ratio and proportion, prevalence and incidence rates)
|Digital Innovation||• Population structure, composition, interpretation of population pyramids (Demographic data)|
PUBLISHED JOURNAL ARTICLES / BOOKS / Chapters
- Indurthy SG, Kashyap GC. Role of public-private partnerships to enhance the health care delivery system during the pandemic COVID-19. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health. 2020 Sep;7(9):3762.
- Kashyap GC, Sharma SK, Singh SK. Prevalence and predictors of asthma, tuberculosis and chronic bronchitis among male tannery workers: A study of Kanpur City, India. Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health. 2020 Jul 9.
- Kashyap GC, Gupta J, Singh SK, Singh M, Bango M. Addressing the disease burden of asthma and chronic bronchitis due to tobacco consumption: a study of Kanpur, India. Journal of Public Health. 2019 Feb 25:1-0.
- Kashyap GC, Puri P, Singh SK. Respiratory Health Upshots due to Contaminated Living Environment: A Cross-Sectional Study of the Industrial Belt of Kanpur City, India.
- Ali B, Kashyap GC. Prevalence and Predictors of Mental Health Disorders among Indian Population: Evidence from the SAGE Wave-1. Demography India. 2019;48(2):59-73.
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Formative and Impact Assessment on “Svasti-Nutrition for Women and Children Program in Kolar and Tumkur Districts, Karnataka
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
- Senior Research Fellowship
- Life member of Indian Association for Social Science and Health (IASSH)
- Life member of Indian Association for the Study of Population (IASP)
PARTICIPATION IN CONFERENCES (SESSION CHAIR/PAPER PRESENTOR)- (Latest three)
- Presented research paper on titled “Prevalence and Predictors of Asthma, Tuberculosis and Chronic Bronchitis among Male Tannery Workers: A Study of Kanpur City, India” in the 36th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Medical Statistics held at NIMHANS, Bangalore, Karnataka during 01-03 November 2018.
|EDUCATION||COURSE / DEGREE||YEAR||INSTITUTION|
|HIGHEST QUALIFICATION||PhD (Population Studies)||2018||International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India|
|MASTERS||MPhil (Population Studies) |
|International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India|
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
|GRADUATION||BSc (Mathematics, Statistics and Economics)||2007||Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|ANY OTHER FELLOWSHIPS||SRF/JRF||2012||University Grant Commission|